Friday, January 5, 2007

Mystery meat

A couple days ago I was sitting down for lunch with my Guatemalan family. As some of you may know the largest meal of the day in Guatemala is lunch and typically alot of food is served (in our family anyways), also it can be seen as an insult not to finish your meal. No matter how many times I have told my family that I want small portions I continue to receive large portions. This particular day I sat down to eat and a plate of food was served to me. I was astonished not only by the size of the portions, but also by this massively large piece of meat (I still am not sure of what it was). This meat portion took up 1/4 of my plate....not only that but it wiggled and it had some form of black hair still attached to it. At first I thought, maybe most of this meat is not edible (wiggly parts mostly) and I could eat around it. As I thought this I looked over at my host mom, Edna, as she was winding this piece of fat around her fork like it was spaghetti and put it all in her mouth...I nearly gagged. Thankfully on this day I was blessed with having to attend Spanish class in the afternoon. Timing my meal just right I was able to dodge this mystery meat and claim that I did not have enough time to finish my plate. I hope I will not have to encounter this mystery meat again, for if I do may I be lucky enough to have a way out.
-posted by Melissa