Saturday, January 6, 2007

Life is good (although sometimes not my stomach)

Although lunch today was a struggle for me, (it was a rice soup with a large chunk of meat that was more bone than meat for me) I tend to enjoy most of the meals. They are just an adjustment as much of the food are new to both Melissa and I. I may have to approach my Edna (mother) about the warm-hot-boiled milk that seems to be giving my stomach struggles. They are very nice, in fact I complemented them on the meal we had last night and I was told today that we are going to have it again! How nice! They could have just had leftovers however I still think it was a nice gesture. We had class again today to finish out our first week and both Melissa and I decided to have a half day so that we could tackle our landry and our room. We are so lucky our family has a washing-machine, we definately won´t be spoiled like this in El Salvador. I have really enjoyed my time with the family but often find myself tounge-tied with putting sentences together. I continue to try though and have found my spanish as good as it´s ever been thus far. Today in class I spent over two hours just talking with my maestro (like a teacher just a different name as well as degree from school) and was able to follow everything. In fact when I didn´t understand a word I was able to understand other explainations in spanish describing it. A fun day we talked about everything from musical likes-dislikes to both of our countries dependancy on petroleum. A far cry from were I was just one week ago, although I still have so much to learn.

Switching back to the family I have really enjoyed my time with Braulio, the father of our family. He enjoys a variety of music and especially American Music, often playing his guitar along to the Beatles, or other songs on the radio. The radio station that he listens to (loudly) has actually been a haven of 80s retro-classic rock for me. I think Melissa has liked it too but for those that know my musical tastes would say that this station has tapped into my brain. Tomorrow Melissa and I are going to the hot springs nearby Xela which should hopefully relax away those first week strains of study.
- posted by Tom