Saturday, October 13, 2007



One of the best parts about being here is having an abundant supply of fruits. There are fruits here that I had no clue existed and ohhh they are delicious. One of my new favorites is a called the lecha fruit. It looks kindof disgusting but it is so sweet inside...yummy!! I haven't found any I can pick off of a tree so I usually buy them in the market. They are somewhat expensive, 7 for .25 or 25 for 1.00. But, to me they are worth it!! However, I am waiting patiently for the mango season to start again.

Saturdays have turned out to be our traditional pupusa night at Arily´s. Every Saturday she sets up to make and sell pupusas to whoever wants to buy them for .25 a piece. This pupusa making night, which she started 2 years ago, starts at 3pm and ends sometime around 7pm. I asked Ari how much money she makes each Saturday, she replied ¨$50 total, but I spend $25 in supplies.¨ Wow! A 25.00 profit in 4 hours, for a Salvadoran woman this is an incredible feat. Tom and I have been faithful, or at least when we are in the community, to show up to have our weekly dose of pupusas. I have recently become a little concerned about how many calories are in a given pupusa, when I ask this question to the native Salvadoran's they say they have no idea, but they imagine there would be alot. Yikes!! So, I have been trying to limit myself to only 2 pupusa's each Saturday, but I could easily pack away 3, possibly even four.

-posted by Melissa