Sunday, September 9, 2007

Lazy Dayz

Well, this past week was spent in San Salvador so Tom could get better while having amoebas. The trip to the doctor went well (besides Tom having amoebas), the clinic that we went to was rather fast, we were in and out within 35 minutes. The doctor that attended to Tom, was very thorough, he actually studied in Japan, receiving a degree in ¨Japanese study and other Japanese things¨, yes it actually said this on the degree….I laughed. The medicine has basically put Tom on hold, as he frequently feels nauseated, but not able to vomit, constant headaches, fatigue, etc. So, that left me spending my time doctoring Tom, taking him to the doctor, getting medication, several runs to the grocery store for specific foods, laundry, reading, playing on the computer, and doing other tedious things. Yes, I love Tom, but I don’t think I could handle him like this all the time….sorry Tom.

Yesterday was somewhat constructive for me, I met some of the women in our community for a meeting that was taking place here in the city. I was told to be at IMU (an organization we work with) at 7:30 am, so I went to IMU at 7:30 am for this meeting that was to take place. Time slowly drifted by, the women from our community showed up around 8:30, we ate breakfast and waiting for our ride to come to take us to a larger location (there were 25 women in total, including women from other departments in El Salvador). Time continued to drift by, but finally at 11:15 our ride was there to pick us up!! Yahoo! Everyone was making a joke that we will have just enough time to eat and then go home. Well, it was close to that, we meet for about an hour and a half, then we ate, then we went home. Oh, how I love meetings in El Salvador. This meeting was a little out of the norm, however it is normal to start a meeting at least an hour behind schedule. It was still great to go, I was able to practice some Spanish (as I did very little during the week), caught up with a couple of women I meet in July, and learned some more Salvadoran slang. So, I guess it was worth it.

Well, we are heading out to our community tomorrow, hopefully Tom’s stomach will treat him well.

-posted by Melissa