Tuesday, April 24, 2007

A little bit of livin' from Guillermo Ungo

Upon returning to Guillermo Ungo from San Salvador on the 13th of April, the week started off with something a little too familiar and once again I was stung by a scorpion. Actually it stung me twice, so I must have really made it angry. It was hiding within our clothing and when I set the clothing on my leg…BAM…a sting. Wow, this time it really hurt, I set off a couple F-bombs and was bent over in pain. (It’s a good thing the family doesn’t understand those words, actually Gloria and I were talking later and I did end up teaching her a few words…..she said it was important for her to know them! Ha!). Although there was no tingly sensation or numbness, there was a lot of pain that lasted for a few hours. The sting was the start of it, I have had a number of scrapes, blisters, and bruises (let’s just say that Tom has been my doctor this week) and he has been wonderful!! I have been continuing to work in the clinic, accompanying the doctor and the secretary, talking to people, and just getting to know my surroundings. When I am not in the clinic I am out with Gloria attending meetings about women’s rights and how to bring those issues back to the rural area. I usually get lost within the meetings, due to rapid speaking and not understanding a lot of the words; however, little by little I am learning more and look forward to the daily interactions with those in our community.

As for Tom he continues to teach English in the school, and also is starting to become more involved within the community development, but similar to my work, it is a slow process. I do want to add that when we are walking to school, the clinic or wherever, there is usually children who say ¨Salud Thomas¨, which is a form of saying hello. This is definitely something that brings a smile to our faces. Tom is also continuing to take guitar lessons from the neighbor Luis, and Luis has told him that he has plans for Tom to join his group rather soon! So Tom has been practicing a lot, and would actually look foreword to being a part of a music group once again. Hopefully he will be able to play something when we come back to the states for a visit in August!!

We haven’t given much history on our family structure with whom we are staying, so here it goes… Gloria, our host mom, lives in a three room house with two of her daughters (she has 8 kids total), Fatima (14) and Ana (8). Gabriel (11, her granddaughter) was also staying there, but has since moved next door. Next door (which is 15 feet away) lives Nena (Gloria’s oldest daughter), Walter (14, Nena’s oldest son), Gabriel (mentioned above, her niece), and Carolina (Nena’s youngest, 4). Gloria, whom I work with through the Defensoras Populares, is an outgoing, independent woman, who just turned the big 50. We celebrated with fried chicken, French fries, beers and friends, it was just what everybody needed. Gloria said this was the first time she had celebrated her birthday, but turning 50 is a big deal, so why not!! There are many cute stories about the family, but it is hard to find time to tell them all. From the smiles and giggles we get daily from Carolina and Ana, to Walter tagging along with Tom with Guitar lessons, as well as the evening English lessons that Fatima, Walter, and Gabby continue to ask for gives us a feeling of truly being a part of this family. In fact when we return from the city Gloria usually says that her ¨hijos¨ (kids) have returned. We definitely have been blessed to live with such a giving family.

-posted by Melissa